Saturday 12 March 2011

Barbara Kruger

After analyzing the 'I shop therefore I am' and 'Face It' images by Barbara Kruger the first thing we notice is the style is not much different from her other works. Both images are Two-tone images with overlaid captions. Also the captions are in 'Future bold oblique' font and typed over white which is usual in much of her work.



In 'I shop therefore I am' Barbara has used French philosopher Rene Descartes famous quote '"Cogito ergo sum' in a materialistic way. It simply means--A person is defined by not what they think, but what they own or wear. The captions in 'Face it' are self-explanatory and relates to 'I shop therefore I am'. If we read it in this way--'Face it! This luxurious garment won't make you rich or beautiful' .We need no more explication.


I think these images communicate theses ideas effectively. We should value the thoughts of people rather than their outlook or assets.


Mercantilism is a political and economic system that arose in the 17th and 18th centuries. It purports that a country's economic strength is directly related to the maintained  of a positive balance of trade. That is, in order to remain economically and politically viable a country must export more than it imports. Barbara's work also relates to consumerism and self-economic,which after country's economy.









Barbara Kruger(n.d), wikipedia the free encyclopedia, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/barbara-kruger. 


Mutis(n.d), what is the meaning of 'I shop therefore I am?' yahoo!Answers, answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090525205/55AAqYRNP


Mercantilism(n.d),Reference for business, www.renferencefor business.com/encyclopedia/Man-Mix/mercantilism.html.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your opinion.Barbara Kruger promotes consumption,but let us rational consumption.production is the base of society.In 1980s,society was developing rapidly.Barbara Kruger's images communicate mercantilism effectively.Because consumption is the purpose of production,and consumption make economy development.We also should value the thoughts of people rather than their outlook or assets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the research you did on Barbara kruger. Hope to see some more good work from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you when you said: "I think these images communicate theses ideas effectively. We should value the thoughts of people rather than their outlook or assets." This is the overall objective of Barbara Krugers artworks and she uses an effective medium to represent this.

    ReplyDelete